Overview of Armory, Spinnaker™, and related technology
You are viewing version 2.24 of the documentation, which is no longer maintained. For up-to-date documentation, see the latest version.
Spinnaker™ is an open source, multi-cloud Continuous Delivery and Deployment platform that provides a single pane of glass with visibility across your deployment for deployment status, infrastructure, security and compliance, and metrics. By using pipelines, flexible and customizable series of deployment stages, Spinnaker can fit a variety of deployment needs. Spinnaker can deploy to and manage clusters across Amazon Web Services (AWS), Kubernetes, and Google Cloud Platform (GCP). Spinnaker not only enables businesses to move to the cloud but makes it easier for them to adopt the cloud’s advantages.
Armory helps software teams ship better software, faster. The Armory Enterprise platform includes an enterprise-grade distribution of Spinnaker. It is preconfigured and runs in your Kubernetes cluster. The platform is an extension of open source Spinnaker and includes all those benefits as well as the following:
- Pipelines as Code (Dinghy) allows you to store Spinnaker pipelines in Github and manage them like you would manage code, including version control, templatization, and modularization. Spinnaker pipelines are flexible and customizable series of deployment stages. Combine all these to rapidly and repeatably scale pipelines in your Spinnaker deployment.
- Policy Engine helps you meet compliance requirements based on custom policies you set. You can configure the Policy Engine to verify that your pipelines meet certain requirements at save time or at runtime.
- Armory Operator is a Kubernetes Operator that helps you configure, deploy, and update Armory on Kubernetes clusters. There are two versions of the Armory Operator: the open source Spinnaker Operator, which installs open source Spinnaker; and the Armory Operator, which is proprietary, installs Armory, and has extended functionality not available in the Spinnaker Operator.
- Terraform integration allows you to use your existing Terraform scripts to plan and create infrastructure as part a Spinnaker pipeline. You can deploy your application and infrastructure all in a single pipeline.
- Pipelines as CRD (PaCRD) is a Kubernetes controller that manages the lifecycle of Armory applications and pipelines as objects within your cluster. PaCRD extends Kubernetes functionality to support Spinnaker Application and Pipeline objects that can be observed for changes through a mature lifecycle management API. (Experimental feature).
Guides for deploying Armory Enterprise for Spinnaker, a continuous integration and software delivery platform built on top of SpinnakerTM, in your air-gapped, local, or cloud environment (AWS, GCP, Azure, Kubernetes, OpenShift). Use the Armory Operator for Kubernetes to install Armory Enterprise, or use the open source Operator to install open source Spinnaker in Kubernetes.
Administer an Armory deployment that is installed in your environment.
Spinnaker guides for Application Developers and other non-admin users
The Armory Agent is a lightweight, scalable service that monitors your Kubernetes infrastructure and streams changes back to Spinnaker’s Clouddriver service.
Resources for extending Spinnaker functionality with plugins.
Armory uses cloud providers as both sources and targets for deploying software. This section is a collection of resources from cloud providers that you might find useful when installing and running the Armory Platform.
Information about support and compatibility for the Armory Platform.
Read about the newest features, improvements, and changes for Armory products, including Armory Enterprise for Spinnaker, the Armory Operator, Armory-Extended Halyard, and the Armory Cloud Platform.
See what’s coming down the pipe for Armory Cloud!